Thursday 20 November 2008

Euro 2008 - An Armchair Blog - Day 13

Every team you back is cursed

That is a text message I received last night, and, for a Man United fan, the sender was surprisingly spot on.

Has anyone else noticed how every prediction I have made or hope I have held throughout the Euros has, so far, crashed and burned?

I want Germany to win and they turn out to be rubbish, I want Russia to beat Spain and they get thumped, I want Romania to go through and Italy squeeze past them. I want, I want, I want.

Now the wanting is over. I don’t want anything else from this tournament. I would say that I just want to watch good football, but if I did that would probably dry up. So I am now a complete and utter spectator, forsaking any emotional involvement. Germany can get trashed by ‘Ronaldo’s Portugal’ tonight for all I care.

What is that anyway – ‘Ronaldo’s Portugal’? Do ITV forget that there are 22 other players in the squad as well as one of the best coaches in the world telling them what to do? And if they are doing it to relate it back to the Prem like I said in the first blog, why do they conveniently forget about Carvalho, Ferreira, Bosingwa and Nani, and of course Scolari. It’s like Diana Ross and the Supremes.

My patience with ITV is noticeably wearing thin. Their choice of pundits is shocking. Why have Alan Curbishly? The man is boring, just like any team he manages.

Tonight then we have the first quarter final of the tournament with staccato Germany taking on the one man band. Portugal will surely win, because I wanted Germany to. It should still be a good match though, with the quality of the games on the increase as more and more is up for grabs.

May the best team win.

No comments: