Thursday 20 November 2008

Euro 2008 - An Armchair Blog - Day 6

Well, I said that Spain would lose didn’t I, and they, erm, didn’t. I said that Germany are winners and today they weren’t. So it’s more than fair to say that I haven’t got a clue what I’m barking on about.

However, I say this to you, O my brothers, it is still early days. The Germans are down but not at all out. They were awful today. But they only have to beat Austria and hope that Poland drop points in one of their last two games; either tonight or next week. But the Germans beat the Poles, so if they do beat Austria and Croatia and both teams end up level on goal difference; the Germans go through. We all know Germany are full of character, and as I said before: you can never write them off.

When it comes to Spain I have a little more trouble to dig myself out of the quagmire, because they oozed class in their victory over the supposedly well organised Russians. The midfield looked very neat and the frontline of Torres and Villa have a partnership unlike any other in the competition, demonstrated by the way that Villa searched out his strike partner, ignoring the rest of the entire squad, to celebrate his hat-trick. But, and I was bound to introduce a but in the hope of saving my skin, the Spanish defence did look very shaky, and that was against the single forward that Russia put against them. So how will they do when they have to deal with Henrik Larsson and Zlatan Ibrahimovic?

What is going on with the referees at the Euros anyway? They persistently wave play on when there is a cynical foul but then blow up for silly little challenges that just slow down the game. They must have had a long briefing about diving, but refuse to book anyone for it. They seem to have a peculiar dislike for any roughness in the area too. Very strange indeed. Oh well. Not to worry.

Must go cheer on Austria and Poland now, a draw would be nice.

No comments: